As the weather warms up it's nice to enjoy a light meal from time to time. This salad is refreshing and appealing — perfect for a Sunday dinner.
Warm weather often brings salads with it! For a Sunday dinner, try this recipe for avocado and grapefruit salad with vinaigrette. The flavor combination is perfect, and the presentation of the salad and ingredients makes for a bright and appealing dish at the table!
You've probably seen citrus fruit used in salads or other dishes, but without the white pith and membranes left behind. Follow the instructions below to slice the grapefruit in a way that will make a perfect presentation.
Avocado and grapefruit salad with vinaigrette recipe
- 2 grapefruits, cut into wedges with pith removed and the juice reserved for the dressing (this cutting technique is called supreming — see the instructions below)
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
- 6 ounces mixed lettuce greens
- 5-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- To cut the grapefruit — or any citrus — into pretty wedges without the pith or membrane is called supreming. To do this, first slice off the top and bottom of the grapefruit.
- Stand it on one end, and slice away the peeling and pith in large sections, all the way around the fruit. You will likely leave behind some of the grapefruit in the peels. Squeeze the juice from the fruit left behind in the peel into a bowl and reserve it for the dressing.
- Continue all the way around the grapefruit until peel and pith are gone.
- Hold the grapefruit over a bowl to catch the juices, and use a knife to cut wedges into the sections, between the membrane. Remove any seeds left behind.
- In a small bowl, add about 2 tablespoons of the reserved grapefruit juice, the olive oil (start with 5 tablespoons), Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and rosemary. Whisk and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Add the lettuce to individual bowls, and add the grapefruit and avocado wedges to the top of the lettuce.
- Serve with the dressing.
Serve a sunny a dish for Sunday dinner!
More Sunday dinner recipes
Barbecue pulled pork sandwiches
Warm salmon salad with lemon vinaigrette