Lentils are so good for you (they're packed with fiber and protein), and they're very easy to prepare. Serve them on a Gluten-free Friday, using this recipe for lentil salad with mustard vinaigrette. The combo of veggies and the peppery arugula pairs nicely with the lentils.
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
Lentil salad with mustard vinaigrette recipe
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free Dijon mustard (or regular, gluten-free yellow mustard if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the salad
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed, sorted and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped tomato
- 8 ounces arugula
- Whisk together all the vinaigrette ingredients in a medium bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning, as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add the lentils and 2-1/2 cups of water to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer (just before it reaches boiling), then reduce the heat, cover the pan and cook for 20-25 minutes. Most of the water will be absorbed during cooking, and the lentils should be tender.
- Drain the lentils and return them to the pan, off the heat. Add the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Allow the lentils to cool to room temperature in a large bowl, then add in the onion, carrot and tomato. Toss gently to mix.
- Evenly divide the arugula between the individual plates and top with the lentil mixture.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette dressing over the individual plates.
You'll love these lentils!
More Gluten-free recipes
Margherita potato pizza
Tuna and black olive pizza
Quinoa pasta with creamy vegetable sauce