Lighter Take On These Popular Cookies
These Mexican wedding cookies are so good, they literally melt in your mouth. Plus, these lighter cookies are made with less butter than the original, so you can have five more without any guilt on Cinco de Mayo!
These cookies are as easy to make as they are to eat (trust us, we've already had six). Simply mix the dough, let chill and bake! Not only are these great for your Cinco de Mayo party, but also they are the perfect dessert for any day of the week, especially this lower-fat recipe.
Lower-fat Mexican wedding cookies
Yields about 32 cookies
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and 1/2 cup sugar together until soft and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Whisk the flours and cinnamon together. Gradually add the flour to the butter mixture, stirring after each addition. Stir in the water. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough into small balls and place 1 inch apart on the prepared sheet. Bake for about 11 minutes.
- Let cool for about 1-2 minutes and then roll into the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Low-fat dessert recipes
3 Low-fat no-bake dessert recipes
3 Easy low-fat chocolate dessert recipes
Luscious low-fat summer desserts