Tired of your kids going straight for the video games when they get home from school? Make one of these fun creepy-crawly snacks instead, and they will be begging to help you in the kitchen!
From rotten apples and grape caterpillars to sweet strawberry snakes, snack time will never be the same once these are introduced. Encourage your kids to help make them for a great family activity everyone will love.
Rotten gummy worm apples
Serves about 4 (1/2 apple serving size)
- 2 apples
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- About 8 gummy worms
- Cut the lid off the top of the apple.
- Using a spoon, carve out the top middle of the apple (not the entire apple). Fill the top half of the carved apple with 1/4 cup of peanut butter.
- Place a few gummy worms into the peanut butter and place the top on it.
Sweet strawberry snakes
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 large banana
- Vanilla frosting
- 2 mini-chocolate chips
- 1 red Fruit Roll-Up
- Slice the strawberries, except for one, and bananas into medium-size slices. Place the one large strawberry on a plate. Line the sliced bananas and strawberries behind the large strawberry in a snake like pattern. Add the small tip of the strawberry at the end for a rattle tail. Optional: To make the snake hold together, place small dollops of frosting between each piece and press to adhere.
- Place two dots of vanilla frosting on the top of the large strawberry head. Put two mini-chocolate chips in the center of the white dots.
- Cut the Fruit Roll-Up into a tongue shape and place inside the head of the strawberry.
Green grape caterpillars
Yields about 6
- 1 bunch of grapes
- 12 mini-chocolate chips
- White frosting
- 6 smaller-size skewers
- Place about 6 grapes on each skewer.
- Place two dots on the top of the grape on the end with the white frosting. Place two mini-chocolate chips into the white frosting.
More easy snack recipes
Classic summer snacks
5 Super snacks all kids will love
Playful treats for playtime