Lemon juice, pulp and zest are all commonly used in cooking. What about the leaves? Did you know that they also give a subtle hint of lemon in the food?
Wrap and bake your meatballs in lemon leaves to trap the moisture inside and get that delicate lemony flavor. It's different, and it tastes like spring. This is a must-try for your next dinner!
Lemon leaf-wrapped meatballs recipe
Yields 20 small meatballs
- 1 slice sandwich bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 10 ounces ground pork
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 1 untreated lemon, zest
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 thumb-size ginger piece, chopped finely
- 20 untreated big lemon leaves, washed and dried
- Cut away and discard the crusts of the bread. In a small bowl, soak the white part of the bread with the milk. When the bread becomes soft and has absorbed the milk, squeeze out the excess milk and set it aside. Discard the milk.
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, pork, bread, lemon zest, egg, lemon juice, ginger, salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients well until the mixture becomes compact.
- Get about a tablespoon of the meat and shape it into a ball. Do the same thing to the rest of the meat.
- Wrap each meatball with a lemon leaf, then secure on top with a toothpick.
- In an oiled baking dish, line the meatballs together.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degress F for 45 minutes.
More meatball recipes
Apple meatball kabobs recipe
Easy chicken meatballs recipe
Cheese-stuffed meatballs recipe