The weather is still cool and perfect for a big bowl of hearty soup. This soup gives you cheesy goodness with a bite of spicy jalapeño. It's a party in your mouth!
Jalapeño cheese soup recipe
- 6 strips thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, sliced (add more or less depending on desired heat level)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large soup pot add bacon and cook on medium heat till it just starts to brown. Add in onion, celery, carrots and jalapeño peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Add in garlic and cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Sprinkle flour onto vegetables and stir. Pour in chicken stock and cook until there are no more flour lumps. Add in half-and-half and stir until hot but not boiling.
- Puree soup in a high speed blender, food processor or using an immersion blender. Once soup is smooth add back to the pot and cook till warm.
- Take the soup off the heat and slowly stir in cheese. It's best to add a handful at a time. Stir to make sure each addition is melted before adding in a new handful of cheese.
- Top with slices of jalapeños or extra bacon.
More soup recipes
Po'boy soup recipe
Guinness and onion soup recipe
Green pea and barley soup recipe