Going out for Chinese? Since you can easily make this tasty, restaurant-style dish at home, you might reconsider dinner out!
Serve up this restaurant-style Chinese dish for a fun Sunday dinner. Baked shrimp and veggie egg rolls are easy to make, and they take a healthier twist since they're baked and not fried.
Get the whole family involved to make this dish: One person can spoon the mixture onto the egg roll wrappers, while someone else wraps them up. Feel free to swap the veggies in this recipe and use your favorites. Try peas, carrots, onion or celery, if you prefer.
Baked shrimp and vegetable egg roll recipe
- 12-14 large precooked, frozen shrimp, tails removed, thawed
- 1/3 cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1/3 cup asparagus, diced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili paste
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, or to the temperature according to the directions on the egg roll package.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When the olive oil is hot, add the edamame, asparagus pieces, shredded cabbage, garlic and soy sauce. Mix all the ingredients together and cook for 2-3 minutes, just so the vegetables are heated through.
- Remove from the heat and add in the garlic chili paste. Mix well to coat and set aside.
- Add the 1 remaining tablespoon of olive oil to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with the salt and pepper.
- When the oil is hot, add the shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes, turning, until the shrimp turn pink. Remove from the heat, and cut each shrimp into thirds, then toss it together with the vegetable mixture.
- Place the egg roll wrappers and the shrimp mixture in your work area, with a baking sheet nearby, along with a small bowl of water.
- One at a time, place an egg roll wrapper in front of you, turned to form a diamond. Add 2-3 heaping spoonfuls of the mixture, horizontally, in the center of the wrapper, just to about 1/4-inch from the edges.
- Fold the bottom tip of the wrapper up over the filling and roll it slightly under the mixture.
- Dip your finger in the water and run it across the edges of the left side of the wrapper, then fold it in toward the center, pressing and sealing it closed. Do the same with the right side of the wrapper, and finally with the top of the wrapper, folding it down.
- Place the egg rolls on the baking sheet, seam side down and lightly spray the tops of the egg rolls with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake the egg rolls for 8-10 minutes. During the last minute of cooking, turn the oven to broil, and keep a close watch so the egg rolls don't burn. Remove from the oven and serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
These egg rolls are so easy to make!
More Sunday dinner recipes
Baked calamari with spicy marinara sauce
Baked eggplant Parmesan
Broccoli mac and cheese