This pizza is put together in a surprisingly delicious way! For a Gluten-free Friday dish, swap a pizza crust for potatoes and toss together this Margherita potato pizza recipe.
The fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella are a classic combo in a Margherita pizza. One main difference in this dish? The crust. Instead of dough, we sub potatoes for the base of this pie. This makes an amazing, gluten-free side dish or a light lunch served with a tossed salad.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Margherita potato pizza recipe
- 2 large baking potatoes, cleaned, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 fresh basil leaves, torn or sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to drizzle
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a 10-inch baking dish with the nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Cook the potatoes (either in the microwave or in a pot of salted, boiling water) until they are tender. Drain them, as needed. Allow them to cool for about 5 minutes.
- After cooling slightly, put the potatoes in a large bowl and add the olive oil, egg, garlic, half the cheese, salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
- Spoon the potato mixture evenly across the bottom of the baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the potato pizza from the oven and sprinkle on the remaining mozzarella cheese. Next, arrange the tomato slices evenly over the top.
- Add the basil pieces last, then drizzle a little olive oil over the top, and sprinkle with a bit more salt and ground black pepper.
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the potatoes turn golden.
- Serve warm.
Slice up a piece of this potato-based pie!
More Gluten-free Friday recipes
Tuna and black olive pizza
Asian-style noodles and shrimp