This beautiful French tart has an elegant feel but it's deceptively easy.
This galette has a gorgeous, easy, flaky, buttery crust that comes together in minutes. With Brie and caramelized shallots, it's rich and filling. Serve it with a garden salad and a pinot grigio for the perfect and easy dinner party dinner.
Brie, caramelized shallots and tomato galette recipe
For the crust:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter
- 1/3 cup ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (to brush on the galette before baking)
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 shallots, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 12 ounces double cream Brie
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- In a food processor add 1-1/3 cup flour, salt, sugar and butter and process until well combined. Add the remaining flour and process again until combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the water until just combined (don't add the water while the dough is in the food processor or your dough will be brittle and cracker-like).
- The dough should be soft. Form dough into a disc, wrap with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. This can be made three days ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and shallots and cook over medium/low heat, stirring occasionally, until the shallots caramelize and turn amber, about 15 minutes (if the heat is too high the shallots will burn rather than caramelize).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a rustic 16-inch circle and transfer the dough to a baking sheet that has been covered wtih parchment paper. Thinly slice the Brie (leave the rind on) and lay the slices evenly across the dough, leaving about a 2-inch border bare.
- Top with shallots and tomatoes. Fold the edges up over the filling, leaving the center open. Brush the edges with melted butter.
- Bake until the crust has turn a light golden brown, about 30 minutes. Top with arugula before serving.
More tart recipes
Strawberry peach galette
Tomato and goat cheese tart