When you talk about applesauce and carrots, you might be thinking of a healthy snack. This Gluten-free Goodie of the Week recipe combines those two, tasty ingredients and whips them up to create a great muffin mix! These muffins are moist and have just a hint of color thanks to the carrots. If you'd like, add chopped walnuts to the batter for added texture.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Applesauce-carrot muffin recipe
Yields 1 dozen
- 2 cups gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 12 paper muffin liners
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with the liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder and soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sift to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add the applesauce, vegetable oil, egg and vinegar. Mix to combine.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and add the wet mixture to it. Mix well to combine all the ingredients until it's smooth. Fold in the shredded carrot. If you're adding walnuts, mix them in at this point.
- Fill the lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack.
Enjoy these two great treats in one muffin mix!
More gluten-free goodie recipes
Mixed berry pecan crisps
Chocolate truffle cakes
Classic, crispy marshmallow treats