A Flavorful Dish For Any Time Of Day
Want to start your day off with a little kick? These ooey, gooey, cheesy green chili grits will satisfy anytime. Creamy grits are blended with cheese and get a kick from green chili peppers, green salsa verde and fresh cilantro. Great for brunch or even as a spicy side dish.
Nothing is quite as delicious as a warm bowl of cheesy grits. This recipe has been transformed from plain and tasteless to bold and flavorful. The sharp cheddar cheese gives this dish a nice bite and the green chilies add just enough heat to balance things out.
Cheesy green chili grits recipe
Adapted from seriouseats
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 cup grits
- 1 small can (about 4-ounces) green chili peppers
- 1/2 of 1 small sweet onion
- 1/2 cup green salsa verde
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepot prepare the grits as instructed on the package. Once the grits are cooked turn to low heat and cover with a lid.
- In a blender or food processor add the green chili peppers, the sweet onion, the salsa verde and the fresh cilantro leaves. Blend on high till the mixture is smooth and there are no chunks. Add the seasonings into the grits and stir in the chili pepper mixture and cook until heated through.
- Right before serving, stir in the shredded cheese and mix until the cheese has melted. Serve warm.
More grits recipes
Ranch sausage grits
Chili cheddar grits with corn
How to make perfect cheesy grits