Hollow chocolate Easter eggs

The Easter Bunny has nothing on you!

Need a homemade treat for your Easter baskets? Hop to it! These hollow chocolate eggs are easier than they look — they just require a little patience.

Here's an edible twist on an Easter egg craft that normally uses yarn and glue. Melted chocolate drizzled over a balloon creates a decorative hollow egg that's good enough to eat. For an added bunny bonus, you can even hide candy inside!

Hollow chocolate Easter eggs recipe

Ingredients and supplies:

• Chocolate candy melts in pastel colors (1 cup solid candy melts = 3 hollow eggs)
  • Piping bags or zip-closed bags
  • Latex balloons
  • Non-stick cooking spray
  • Straws or wooden skewers
  • Clothespins
  • Plastic cups or glasses (larger than your inflated balloons)
  • Small candies, like robin eggs (optional)

Hollow chocolate Easter eggs recipe

Directions:

Inflate balloons and melt chocolate

Inflate balloons slightly, about the size of a real egg or slightly larger. (Do not use water balloons. The latex is too thin and will burst when you pour hot melted chocolate on it.) Put one cup of chocolate candy melts in a bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating until completely melted.

Hollow chocolate Easter eggs recipe

Drizzle chocolate on balloons

Pour melted chocolate into a piping bag or zip-closed bag. Cut off the tip. Working over the sink or newspaper, hold an inflated balloon by the tied end. Lightly spray your balloons with non-stick cooking spray, then drizzle melted chocolate across the bottom of the balloon in all directions. Turn balloon over and continue drizzling chocolate over the top and sides.

Hollow chocolate Easter eggs recipe

Hang to dry

Using a clothespin, clip the balloon to a straw or wooden skewer and balance inside of a cup or glass to dry.

Hollow chocolate Easter eggs recipe

Deflate balloons

When completely dry, remove the balloon by clipping open the tied top to release the air.

Hollow chocolate Easter eggs recipe

Pull out balloons

Slowly pull the balloon away from the inside of the chocolate egg and carefully remove.

Hollow chocolate Easter eggs recipe

Optional: Hide candy inside

Optional: To create eggs with candy inside, put the candy in the balloons before inflating. Removing the balloon is a little more difficult, so be patient.

Hollow chocolate Easter eggs recipe

Show off your handiwork!

Display your decorative, edible Easter eggs before enjoying!

Hollow chocolate Easter eggs recipe

More food crafts

Octopus and penguin-shaped bread bowls
Adorably cheesy animal appetizers
Edible teacup cookies

Comments

Comments on "Hollow chocolate Easter eggs"

Sandra Denneler May 15, 2013 | 8:37 AM

I've only made these eggs using pre-colored candy melts. I've never tried white or brown chocolate. I'm guessing they setup differently. i know that if you add water-based food coloring to oil-based chocolates it will glob and change the consistency, so perhaps that's what happened to yours. Recipes are always experiments, even if you've done them a million times. I encourage you to try again with candy melts. Also, you can't drizzle the candy melts too thin. Thicker coverage is going to be stronger.

Emily May 13, 2013 | 11:24 PM

Every time I did this I put the sprayed the ballons but when I cut them the chocolate just stuck and broke. I also used white chocolate and dyed it with food dye How do I fix the problem

janet trieschman April 01, 2013 | 5:05 PM

We tried this and it is definitely doable. We also tried brown chocolate and it never got hard enough and always broke when popping the balloon.

Catherine March 30, 2013 | 5:03 AM

I made these for Easter dinner and they turned out fantastic. Had a great time making them and got heaps of complements. Thanks!!

Sandra March 20, 2013 | 9:35 AM

Natalie... I'm not coming up with any other options besides balloons. I do know they sell latex-free balloons at some stores. You might also check with hospital gift shops. Someone mentioned that they're very familiar with latex allergies and have latex-free balloons for sale. There are also latex-free disposable gloves now. Perhaps you could inflate the thumb and tie it?

Natalie March 18, 2013 | 6:20 PM

Could you use something other than latex? I can't go near it due to allergies.

Sandra March 18, 2013 | 10:49 AM

Definitely start with a small hole in your piping tip. A small squeeze bottle works too and would be easier for kids to hold and use. There's a fine line between too much chocolate and enough to make it stable but still look hollow.

Felske March 17, 2013 | 8:20 PM

Tried this tonight with my kids - as a test - they had fun but ended up with a full shell that seems like it needs something inside of it. Any ideas? I'm going to keep trying. I need smaller ballons and a smaller hole in the bag to get the lattice look.

Amy March 16, 2013 | 3:14 PM

This is such a cute idea!! I wonder if the kids would be able to help out...love it, thanks!

Sandra March 14, 2013 | 11:19 AM

Mine didn't taste like latex at all. Lots of people dip balloons in melted chocolate to make edible chocolate bowls for ice cream or desserts. You can also spray the balloons lightly with non-stick cooking spray to help the balloon release easier from the chocolate.

Shia March 14, 2013 | 9:37 AM

Wouldn't the balloon make them taste rubbery?