A Fun New Twist
On An Easter Classic
Have stacks of Tupperware filled with leftover Easter ham? Skip the sammie and stuff your favorite holiday meat into an adorable little ravioli instead!
These luscious ravioli aren't just stuffed with ham and cheese, they are covered in a rich and decadent Swiss cheese sauce. Think of them as a much more indulgent version of your favorite ham and cheese sandwich that you can eat with a fork.
Homemade ham ravioli with Swiss cheese sauce recipe
Recipe slightly adapted from Taste of Home
Serves about 6
For the ravioli:
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Dash of salt
For the filling:
- About 2 cups diced ham (small pieces)
- About 1 cup Swiss cheese, diced or shredded (we used Emmentaler)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley
For the sauce:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Place the flour in a very large bowl and make a well in the center. Beat the eggs, water and oil and pour into the well. Mix together until a large ball forms. Place dough onto a heavily floured surface and knead for about 8 minutes, or until elastic. Then cover, place in a warm area and let rest/rise for about 30 minutes.
- In another bowl, stir together the ricotta, Swiss cheese, ham and parsley. Chill until ready.
- After the pasta has rested, roll out to a 1-1/16 (very thin) thickness. Place about 1 teaspoon of the filling about 1 inch apart on half of the dough and then carefully fold the sheet over and press down to seal. Using a pizza cutter, cut into half crescents. Use a ravioli cutter to add the crimped edges.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Add ravioli and cook until they float to the surface, about 6 minutes. Rinse.
- While ravioli cooks, prepare sauce by melting butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and create a roux. Add the milk and heavy cream, whisking after each addition. Once thick, remove from heat and stir in cheese and salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over the ravioli and serve immediately.
More leftovers recipes
Leftover Easter candy recipes
Two tasty recipes for leftover ham
3 Ways to use up your Easter leftovers