Lighter Whoopies For Your Irish Party
There's no better time than St. Patrick's Day to "make whoopie"! Whoopie pies, that is. These soft and fluffy pies are perfectly festive and make a great addition to your lucky green-themed menu.
Not only are these cute, they are low fat and really easy to make. Although they require cake mix, the fat and calories are slashed by almost a third with the substitution of applesauce for oil and egg whites for eggs. Lighter pies mean more room in your belly for Guinness!
Low-fat St. Patrick's Day whoopie pies
Yields about 12 whoopie pies
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- Green food coloring
- Light frosting (we love this low-fat cream cheese icing)
- Green sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cupcake tins with liners or grease with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the cake mix, egg whites, water, applesauce and canola oil together. Mix until there are no more lumps. Add a few drops of green food coloring until you get your desired color.
- Pour mixture into the cupcake tins, filling them almost all the way full (the bigger the muffin tops, the better). Bake for about 19-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a wire cooling rack for at least 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, carefully cut off the tops of the cupcakes, saving the stumps for later. Add a hefty spoonful of icing to one pie and then carefully smoosh another muffin top on top of it. (You want a little icing oozing out.) Roll the icing portion of the pie in sprinkles.
- Garnish with fun St. Patrick's Day cupcake toppers or enjoy!
More whoopie pie recipes
Strawberry basil whoopie pie recipe
Mini heart whoopie pie recipe
Whoopie pies, three ways