Wanna jazz up your weekend breakfast? Basic pancakes are pumped up with sweet corn and crunchy bacon. Cooked till perfection and topped with sweet maple syrup. Oh yes!
Pancakes don't have to just be sweet. These corn and bacon filled pancakes are perfect for brunch and give a savory spin to this normally sweet treat. To make them even more decadent, we drizzled maple syrup on top to create the perfect sweet and savory combination!
Corn and bacon pancake recipe
Adapted from Recipe Girl
Yields 8 pancakes
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs (we used a combination of thyme and chives)
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- Maple syrup, for topping
- In a large skillet fry bacon and, once crisp, let it drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble and set aside.
- Remove grease from the skillet by pouring it into a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of grease back to the pan and add in the shallots and saute till soft and fragrant.
- While the shallots are cooking, whisk together the flours, herbs, salt, pepper.
- Once combined, add in milk, egg, melted butter, corn kernels, cooked shallots and most of the crumbled bacon (save a little for the topping). Stir together. The mixture will be thicker than normal pancake batter, but if it's too thick (and won't spread) simply add a dash of milk to thin it out until desired consistency is met.
- Heat the same skillet you used to fry the bacon and shallots over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease back to the skillet and when the oil is hot scoop 1/3 cup batter per pancake, cooking two pancakes at a time.
- Cook till the bottom is brown and the edges are set. Flip, and cook on the other side till brown and cooked in the middle.
- Top with a little sprinkle of bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup.
More pancake recipes
Red velvet pancake recipe
Birthday cake pancake recipe
St. Patrick's Day pancake recipe