Beer isn't just for drinking! This delicious dish is made from rich beef stock, sweet caramelized onions and tasty Guinness Irish stout. Oh yes! This is one dish that is full of St. Patrick's Day flavor and will be sure to be a household favorite!
Guinness and onion soup recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 cups sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-1/2 cups Guinness draught
- 4-6 cups beef stock
- 2 cups shredded Irish cheddar cheese
- In a large stockpot melt butter and olive oil. Add in onions and fresh thyme.
- Cook on medium-low heat until the onions are fragrant and dark golden brown. You want the onions to be soft and caramelized.
- Add in garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes until the garlic is fragrant. Pour in Guinness and let cook over medium heat until the liquid is cooked down by half.
- Add 4 cups beef stock and cook for another 20 minutes to bring the flavors together. If you notice the stock is getting low, simply add a little more to the pot.
- Sprinkle grated Irish cheddar over the soup and serve with crusty bread.
More soup recipes
Potato leek soup recipe
Italian lasagna soup recipe
Buffalo chicken soup with orzo recipe