Sushi made with sandwich ingredients? Why not! Gluten-free sandwich-style sushi makes a great snack or a healthy, light lunch.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Gluten-free Fridays just got more fun! We're calling this fun-to-make (and eat) dish "sandwich style." Why? Because the ingredients used to stuff the sushi rolls are what you might find on your favorite sandwich! It's fun to experiment with different ingredients for this recipe. For example, replace the Swiss cheese with cheddar cheese and add cooked ham or canned tuna. Maybe red bell peppers are more your style. Add them with a layer of cream cheese. The options are up to you!
- 2 cups white or brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (8 inch) sheets of nori (sushi wrappers)
- Sesame seeds for garnish, and gluten-free soy sauce for dipping (optional)
- Cook the rice and set it aside. Add the vinegar, sugar and salt to a small bowl, and microwave it for about 10 seconds. Stir to ensure the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and mix.
- Lay out your first nori. Use a spoon to thinly spread half the rice mixture over the first wrapper, just to the edges.
- Place two slices of Swiss cheese over the top half of the first nori. Next add your remaining ingredients. Repeat with the remaining nori.
- As tightly as you can, carefully roll the nori and place the seam on the bottom of your work surface when finished.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut the roll into 1/2-inch slices.
- Garnish slices with sesame seeds and serve with gluten-free soy sauce for dipping.
Roll with this dish on a Gluten-free Friday!
More Gluten-free recipes
Tuna and black olive pizza
Quinoa pasta with creamy vegetable sauce
Asian-style noodles and shrimp