Serving these homemade sandwich rolls is a breakaway move — there is just no competition when it comes to a warm, chewy pretzel roll stuffed with your favorite sandwich fillings. Score big by serving these with ice-cold beer.
You can make these even easier when you start with pizza dough from your grocer. It’s usually found in the deli area or the refrigerated section. Just skip right to the shaping instructions for the rolls and continue the preparation from there.
If you’re up for the challenge, making these from scratch doesn’t take long and the result is much better than you can get commercially.
Soft sandwich rolls that taste like pretzels are a sure way to steal the attention from anything else on the table. These are especially good with mustard, Black Forest ham and Swiss cheese.
Yield: 8 rolls
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Coarse sea salt crystals
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Let stand for five minutes.
- Attach the dough hook to the mixer.
- Mix flour and salt, and add to the yeast mixture.
- Mix on low until the dough comes together in a mass.
- Increase the speed to medium, and beat until the dough is smooth. This will take about eight to 10 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Oil a large bowl and place the ball of dough into it, turning once to oil the top.
- Cover with a towel and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- After the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and knead lightly.
- (If you are starting with premade dough from the store, start here.) Divide the dough into eight equal parts and shape into oblong rolls.
- Slash the tops in three places.
- Let the rolls rise for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- When the water reaches a boil, add the baking soda. The mixture will foam up quite a lot.
- Add four of the rolls to the simmering water.
- Cook two minutes, turn over and cook two minutes more.
- Remove from the pot and drain.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining rolls.
- Brush the pretzel rolls with the egg and water mixture.
- Sprinkle them lightly with salt.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the outside of the rolls are golden brown.
- Cool and slice in half horizontally.
Pepperoni cheese stick roll-ups
Philly cheesesteak sloppy joe sandwich
Buffalo chicken tacos