Blend Of Flavors
Get to know more Mediterranean flavors with this pasta. There are lots of explosive flavors to discover all in one dish!
Added to the typical Mediterranean flavors of eggplant, tomatoes, capers, oregano and olives, the sweetness of the dried figs give a surprising kick to the palate. Cavatelli can be replaced with other types of short pasta.
Pasta with figs, eggplant and tomatoes recipe
- 12 ounces cavatelli or similar short pasta
- 7 ounces eggplant, diced
- 10 ounces fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped (or substitute canned tomatoes)
- 1.5 ounces dried figs, chopped coarsely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Boil water for the pasta in a large pot.
- Meanwhile, saute garlic and onion in a large saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil.
- When garlic turns golden, mix in diced eggplant. Cook until they turn brown. Add extra-virgin olive oil if needed. Transfer eggplant to a bowl and set aside.
- Saute tomatoes in the same saucepan. Cook for about 5 minutes.Add olives, capers and figs. Cook for another 5 minutes together.
- Return eggplant to pan.Cook for another 15 minutes on low fire.Season with dried oregano, salt and pepper at the end of cooking.
- When the water for the pasta boils, add salt then drop in the pasta. Cook according to the number of minutes indicated in the package or until al dente.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce and mix well. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil before serving.
More pasta recipes
Orecchiete pasta with broccoli rabe recipe
Pasta with asparagus, pancetta and tomatoes recipe
Pasta with cherry tomatoes and almond pesto