Make A Classic
Is it possible to make a classic Italian dish like eggplant Parmesan even better? Of course, and this recipe couldn't be easier to make!
Everyone loves a classic Italian meal, but can you imagine improving on a classic? This Sunday dinner baked eggplant Parmesan recipe will convince you and your family. Instead of frying the eggplant, this recipe calls for baking the eggplant slices. It's super-simple to put this dish together, and you can get the kids involved, too. A classic never tasted so good… really!
Baked eggplant Parmesan recipe
- 1 eggplant, ends cut, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup prepared pasta sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray 2 baking sheets and a small casserole dish with the nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Add the egg to a shallow bowl and beat it. Mix in the milk.
- Mix the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the breadcrumbs and egg mixture near the baking sheets.
- One at a time, dip each eggplant slice in the egg mixture and allow the excess to drip off into the bowl. Next, dredge both sides of each slice in the breadcrumbs. Place in one layer on the baking sheets.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, flip the eggplant slices and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the pasta sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Layer the eggplant slices on the bottom of the dish. The eggplant slices will be your base. Top the eggplant with about 2-4 tablespoons of the pasta sauce, then sprinkle on the cheese mixture. Repeat until all the slices are used, with cheese as the top layer.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Serve warm.
A classic, only better!
More Sunday dinner recipes
Tortellini with shrimp and spinach in creamy tomato sauce
Broccoli mac and cheese
Baked cod with chimichurri sauce