A Hearty Pasta
Dish Lightened Up
In this recipe we did a revamp of the Italian favorite fettuccine Alfredo. Removing the calorie-laden creams and cheeses, we added skim milk, plump roasted garlic tomatoes, fresh basil and just enough Parmesan cheese to give it kick.
Who doesn't love a good bowl of noodles? We do! But what we don't love is how awful and guilty we feel after indulging in this delicious pasta dish. Traditional Alfredo is heavy, loaded with calories and doesn't offer much for the health conscious. Taking away the heavy cream saves tons of calories. Adding lots of sweet juicy roasted tomatoes and garlic magnifies the flavor. Enjoy a pasta dish for once and never feel guilty again.
Skinny roasted garlic tomato Alfredo recipe
For the roasted garlic tomatoes:
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 head fresh garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the fettuccine:
- 1 cup roasted garlic tomatoes
- A handful of fresh basil, julienned
- 1 box whole wheat fettuccine pasta or any pasta of your choice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. To a large bowl add the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic cloves, seasonings and salt and pepper if using. Toss to mix well and spread evenly on a large baking sheet. Roast the tomatoes for 1 hour and set aside.
- Prepare the fettuccine per the box directions. In a small saucepan, stir together milk, vegetable broth, 3 tablespoons of flour (reserving the remaining tablespoon), salt and pepper and the nutmeg and simmer over low heat until smooth and thick. If you desire the sauce to be thicker add in the additional tablespoon of flour. Stir in the 1 cup of roasted garlic tomatoes and the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and allow the sauce to rest for 5 minutes to help thicken it up. Add the cooked pasta to a serving plate and pour the sauce over top of the noodles. Top with the fresh basil and extra Parmesan cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
More skinny recipes
Skinny green chili corn chowder
Skinny girl BBQ