For Your Sweetheart
Before you run away because you think we've lost our minds, give one of these fluffy, moist, oh-so-decadent strawberry basil whoopie pies a taste. After one bite, the unique flavors will instantly have you hooked.
Forget a box of chocolates or red velvet cake this Feb. 14. Give your Valentine a plate of these unique and inspiring whoopies instead. The strawberry and basil pair perfectly together, just like you and your honey do in real life!
Strawberry basil whoopie pie recipe
Recipe adapted from the Domestic Rebel
Yields about 8 whoopies
For the cake:
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
For the filling:
- 1 stick softened butter
- 3-1/2 ounces marshmallow fluff
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, canola oil and water together. Gently stir in chopped basil. (Mixture will be thick.)
- Place dough onto the parchment paper (using a tablespoon to measure the amount), leaving a one-inch space between each round. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottoms. Let cool completely.
- To make the filling, whip the butter, marshmallow fluff, vanilla and sugar together. Once whoopies have cooled, spread one tablespoon or so of filling onto one of the cakes. Carefully sandwich the other cookie on top of the filling. Repeat until you have about 8 sandwiches.
More strawberry recipes
4 Creative savory strawberry recipes
Strawberry and peach galette
Balsamic strawberry bruschetta recipe