Craving a taste of the Big Easy but can't swing a trip for Fat Tuesday? Make a big batch of this decadent crawfish mac and cheese for your own deep southern Mardi Gras celebration at home!
Crawfish are native to Louisiana and are often served in boils and jambalaya. They are a bit of work to peel, but the flaky meat in the tail is well worth the trouble. Their light, fishy flavor pairs perfectly with the bacon, gooey cheese, zesty Cajun seasoning and macaroni noodles in this super-indulgent recipe.
Decadent crawfish mac and cheese recipe
Recipe inspired by Emeril Lagasse
Serves about 4
- 6 ounces macaroni noodles
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound cooked crawfish tail meat, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- About 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni noodles and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large 3-quart skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a plate. Once cooled, crumble into pieces. Drain 3/4 of the grease. Add onions to the pan and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in butter and flour. Stir to coat the onions. Add milk and stir to mix. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Stirring occasionally, heat mixture until sauce is thick, about 5-7 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in bacon, crawfish, cheeses, Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper. Stir to mix. Stir in noodles, tossing liberally in the sauce to cover.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour macaroni into a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and breadcrumbs are browned. Serve immediately.
More Fat Tuesday recipes
Fat Tuesday shrimp and jambalaya recipe
The best gumbo recipes for Mardi Gras
Lighter king cake recipe