The master of all sandwiches meets the king of all dips to create a fun and irresistible treat the whole crowd will love!
Homemade spinach artichoke dip grilled between two slices of football-shaped pumpernickel bread... a simple MUST-HAVE at your next game day or Super Bowl party!
Football-shaped grilled cheese sandwiches stuffed with spinach artichoke dip
- 10 ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and pressed of its liquid
- 14 ounce jar marinated and quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature (low-fat can be used)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (low-fat mayonnaise or sour cream can be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12-16 slices pumpernickel bread
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- A few slices American cheese to be cut into strips and used for making stitch marks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl mix together, spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, mayonnaise and garlic powder. Once well mixed, place entire mixture into an ovenproof casserole or pie plate and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow dip to sit.
- Take your slices of pumpernickel bread and two at a time (stacked on top of one another) carefully trim corners and sides of bread with a sharp knife into the shape of a football (oval like).
- Melt some butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Take one of your pumpernickel football shaped slices and spread on some of the prepared spinach artichoke dip (about one half to one inch thick). Place bread side down in pan and top with its matching football-shaped slice of pumpernickel bread.
- Grill sandwich on both sides about 2 minutes per side, being careful when flipping. Place grilled sandwich on a cookie sheet and continue making the additional sandwiches in the same manner.
- Once all sandwiches are grilled and on the cookie sheet, slice American cheese into strips (some long, thin cheese strips to run vertically down the sandwich and some shorter ones to represent the finger stitches on a football.) Place these on top of all the sandwiches and then place cookie sheet in the oven about 5-6 minutes, or until cheese on top has slightly melted onto the bread. Remove your football-shaped grilled cheese sandwiches from the oven and serve.
More fun grilled cheese ideas
Grilled cheese with tomato, pickles and potato chips
Caramelized onion barbecued pulled pork grilled cheese
Pizza grilled cheese