With A Twist
Every since the movie Ratatouille came out, people have been in love with this simple French side dish.
Ratatouille is typically served as a side, however in this recipe it is being used as a pasta sauce. It is wonderful on its own, but it makes one of the best vegetarian pasta sauces you will ever taste! To really make it spectacular stir in fresh mozzarella and Parmesan cheese just before serving.
Ratatouille pasta recipe
Recipe adapted from Chef Michael Smith
- Grapeseed oil
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 zucchinis, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeds removed, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 ripe tomatoes, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- A bay leaf
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 or 2 bunches fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound box of fettucine noodles
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Begin by sauteing the eggplant and zucchini in a large skillet over high heat with 2-3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil. Continue cooking, stirring and tossing, until the vegetables are golden brown and tender, 10 minutes or so. Set these vegetables aside in a bowl.
- Turn the heat down a bit and continue with another 2-3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil and the bell peppers, cooking them just until they’re tender, another 5 minutes or so. Add them to the first batch of reserved vegetables.
- Next, saute the onions with another 2-3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil until they soften a bit. Add the crushed garlic and tomatoes and continue for 7 minutes.
- Lower the heat. Add the bay leaf and reserved vegetables and simmer until the mixture thickens, another 10 minutes or so. Remove the crushed garlic cloves.
- While the ratatouille simmers, cook the pasta in salted water, until al dente. Set the pasta aside.
- Season the ratatouille with salt and pepper. Stir in the fresh basil and balsamic vinegar.
- Toss the ratatouille, Parmesan cheese and fresh mozzarella into the cooked fettucini noodles. Serve immediately.
More pasta recipes
Sausage, cheese & sun-dried tomato pasta recipe
Sunday Dinner: Pasta with Brussels sprouts
Caprese pasta salad