Please Pile Up
Sometimes Mondays require food that provides comfort and heartiness for dinner. If you need something to fit that bill for a Meatless Monday meal, try this recipe for potato and zucchini torta.
This dish makes a great Meatless Monday side dish, especially paired up with a cup of soup or grilled fish. Potato and zucchini torta is made by layering slices of potato, zucchini and onion that have been seasoned with breadcrumbs and cheese. Doesn't that sound delicious? Give this dish a try. It's piled with great taste!
Potato and zucchini torta recipe
Recipe inspired by Mario Batali
- 3 large Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 green zucchini, sliced in 1/8-inch thick rounds
- 1/2 white onion, sliced in rings
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a medium-sized casserole dish with the nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and rosemary in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large bowl and toss the potatoes and zucchini in it so they're well coated.
- Starting with the potatoes, sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over both sides of each slice and place a layer on the bottom of the dish. Follow with the zucchini, then lay a few onion rings over the zucchini. Continue with the layers, ending with the zucchini rounds to top the torta.
- Sprinkle the extra breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese over the top and bake for about 50 minutes, or until cooked through and the top begins to turn golden.
- Serve warm.
Serve up a great side!
More Meatless Monday recipes
Stir-fried broccoli with cashews
Spaghetti squash with tomato-mushroom sauce
Polenta with sauteed spinach and tomato sauce