Gooey butter cake is a classic Southern treat, but we vamped it up a little and made it with brown butter! All that toasted goodness baked into one decadent cake.
Prepare to be in heaven! This delicious and flavor-packed cake will be your new family favorite. This has a crunchy brown butter and cake flavored bottom topped with a sweet cream cheese mixture. Trust us, you will have a hard time stopping after one piece!
Gooey brown butter cake recipe
Yields one 9 x 13-inch pan
- 1 (8 ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- In a bowl of an electric mixer add cream cheese, 2 eggs and powdered sugar. Mix on medium speed until completely blended and smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized skillet melt 1 stick of butter over medium heat. The butter will start to bubble a little and soon you will notice a nutty smell and see small toasted bits inside the butter. Take it off the heat once it has reached this stage so it does not burn.
- In another mixing bowl add your dry cake mix, cooled brown butter and 1 egg. Mix until combined.
- Press into the bottom of a parchment-lined 9 x 13-inch pan and pour cream cheese mixture over the top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until you notice the top is begining to brown. The middle might jiggle slightly but this is OK. It will set up while it cools.
- After the cake has completely cooled, sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
More cake recipes
No-bake ice box cake recipes
Giant pumpkin cinnamon roll cake recipe
Boozy pineapple upside down cake recipe