If your mouth is watering by now (as it should be), keep right on reading. These simple red velvet pancakes are sure to please. Perfectly flavored, they are drizzled with a creamy vanilla bean-cream cheese glaze. Try this breakfast as your new Valentine's Day treat, or keep the recipe in your back pocket anytime you need to pull together a romantic breakfast in bed.
Red velvet pancakes recipe
Adapted from Cooking Classy
Yields 24 small pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 – 2 tablespoons red food coloring (depends on color you would like to achieve)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Heat a griddle to 350 degrees F.
- To a bowl, add the all-purpose flour, white whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the buttermilk, sugar, eggs, food coloring, vanilla extract and melted butter. Mix well.
- Once combined, slowly stir in the flour mixture. Once the batter is combined, cook on the griddle until bubbles appear, and then flip.
- Drizzle with cream cheese glaze, and enjoy.
Cream cheese glaze recipe
Yields 1 cup
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
- To a bowl of an electric mixer, add the cream cheese and butter. Mix until combined.
- Add in the powdered sugar, and thin out the mixture with milk. Add in the vanilla paste, and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle over the hot pancakes.
More red velvet recipes
Updated by Bethany Ramos on 1/18/16