This is a seriously hearty dish for Sunday dinner. You might even call Southwestern soup with sausage and pasta a one-dish wonder!
This Sunday dinner soup is one you'll look forward to serving on any chilly night. Southwestern soup with sausage and pasta has a lot going for it. The sausage and pasta add substance, while the escarole adds interest and great flavor.
This recipe calls for black beans, but use what you have on hand. If you don't have escarole, use spinach or kale. Perfect served with a side of cornbread, Southwestern soup with sausage and pasta will please everyone at the table!
Southwestern soup with sausage and pasta recipe
Serves 6-8 people
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces small-style pasta (like elbow or corkscrew pasta)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1-1/2 cups escarole, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 ounces green chilies
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Blanch the escarole in a large skillet for a few minutes. When the leaves turn bright green, remove it from the heat, drain it, then run cold water over it. Allow it to drain and set it aside.
- Remove the casings from the sausage and add it to a large Dutch oven to brown over medium heat. Break the sausage up a bit with a wooden spoon.
- Add the onions to the sausage and cook for 2-4 minutes, or until they start to become translucent.
- Add the garlic to the mixture and cook for a minute or two, then add the green chilies and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the water, broth, corn, beans, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and cumin to the mixture and bring it to a boil. Once it is boiling, add the pasta, and lower the heat slightly. Allow the pasta to cook until it is almost al dente, then add the escarole to the soup, and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Serve the soup hot.
This is a soup with a lot of substance!
More Sunday Dinner recipes
Chicken Parmesan sandwiches
BELT sandwiches with sun-dried tomato spread
Acorn squash with wild rice