Cupcakes For Breakfast
Cupcakes for breakfast? Yes, yes, yes! This simple cupcake is slightly sweet and topped with maple buttercream frosting. Plus there is some added bacon because breakfast wouldn't be complete without bacon.
Who says you can't eat cupcakes for breakfast? These maple flavor-packed cupcakes are delicious and totally appropriate for early morning snacking. They have a thick pancake texture and flavor and are topped with whipped maple frosting and a little piece of maple bacon. No need to feel guilty while eating these cupcakes. They are delicious and adorable!
Maple & bacon breakfast cupcake recipe
Yields about 1 dozen
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon maple extract (depends on your desired maple flavor)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg, melted butter, maple extract and vanilla extract.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir till combined.
- Add cupcake liners to a 12 count cupcake pan. Fill cups 2/3 full and bake for about 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when tested in the middle of the muffin.
- Let cool and then top with maple buttercream frosting.
Maple buttercream frosting recipe
Yields about 1 cup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add butter and cream till smooth.
- Add in maple syrup and maple extract. Mix till blended.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and mix till fluffy. If you notice that the frosting is too thick simply add a splash of milk to thin it out.
Maple bacon recipe
Yields 4 slices bacon
- 4 thick slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put a baking rack on a sheet pan and lay out strips of bacon.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until it starts to get crispy. Take bacon out of the oven and baste with maple syrup.
- Return pan to the oven and let the syrup "bake" onto the bacon, about 3 minutes.
- Break each slice of bacon into 4 pieces and stick into the frosting-topped cupcakes.
More cupcake recipes
Greek baklava cupcake recipe
Apple pie filled cupcake recipe
Mason jar pumpkin cupcake recipe