Spin On Pizza
Everyone loves pizza but it's not the healthiest option on the menu until now! Portobello mushrooms replace the pizza crust which is then stuffed with all of our favorite toppings. Never ever feel guilty about eating pizza again.
Portobello mushrooms can sometimes seem a little weird due to their massive size but don't let the looks of these gems scare your away. Using these large mushroom caps as the basis for our pizza is not only super healthy its low calorie and low carb. You can mix and match any toppings you desire, creating your own stuffed mushroom pizzas. For a unique idea try replacing the tomato sauce with fresh pesto!
Stuffed portobello mushroom pizza recipe
- 6 portobello mushroom caps, washed and dried with stems removed
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (you can use your favorite jarred pasta sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup sliced mini sweet peppers
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced (use what you feel is a desirable amount for each pizza)
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced (package sizes vary from 5-8 ounces, just use what you feel is necessary for each pizza)
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasonings, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the mushroom, cap side up, on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and spoon the tomato sauce into the center of each mushroom cap. Top with cheese, sliced tomatoes, olives, sliced peppers, minced red onion and garlic. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
- Garnish each pizza with fresh basil and Italian seasonings and serve immediately.