By baking these doughnuts they become a treat that you can enjoy whenever you feel like it! They are best served fresh out of the oven with a steaming mug of coffee.
Cinnamon sugar baked doughnut recipe
Recipe adapted from 101 Cookbooks
Yields 2 dozen doughnuts
- 1-1/3 cups warm milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Place 1/3 cup of the warm milk in the bowl of a stand mixer. Gently stir in the yeast and set aside for 5-10 minutes or until the yeast is dissolved into the milk. Make sure that your yeast isn't too hot or it will kill the yeast. Mix the butter and sugar into the remaining cup of warm milk and add it to the yeast mixture. With a fork, stir in the eggs, flour and salt, just until the flour is incorporated, being careful not to overmix. With the dough hook attachment of your mixer beat the dough for 3-5 minutes at medium speed. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl and become soft and smooth. Turn the dough out onto a floured counter, knead a few times and shape into a ball.
- Place the dough into a buttered bowl, cover with a damp towel and put in a warm spot. Let it rise for approximately an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and roll it out 1/2-inch thick on a floured counter. Cut the dough out with a 3-inch cookie cutter. Move the circles to a parchment-lined baking sheet and cut out the inner circles using a smaller cutter. Cover with a clean damp cloth and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven or until the bottoms are slightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the doughnuts are baking, melt the butter on the stovetop and transfer to a medium bowl. Place the sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and let them cool for a minute or two. Dip each one in the melted butter and quickly coat the tops in the cinammon sugar mixture.
More doughnut recipes
Sweet potato baked doughnuts
Baked eggnog doughnuts with eggnog rum glaze
Homemade doughnut recipe