Special Sunday Sandwiches!
Do you normally serve chicken Parmesan with pasta? Switch things up this Sunday and serve chicken Parmesan sandwiches instead!
A sandwich is a sandwich, right? Not quite! This recipe for chicken Parmesan sandwiches makes a super-hearty and delightful meal with a twist. Instead of serving up Italian-inspired chicken Parmesan with a side of pasta, serve it up as a sandwich. It's easy to make, and your family will enjoy the switch for this Sunday dinner.
Chicken Parmesan sandwiches
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 4 long, hoagie-style bread rolls
- 2 eggs, beaten and added to a shallow bowl
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs added to a shallow bowl
- 1/3 cup flour added to a shallow bowl
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices mozzarella or Provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup prepared tomato sauce
- Turn your oven to broil.
- Add the salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs to season, and mix well.
- Place a large platter next to the bowls containing the flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Dredge each of the chicken breasts into the flour first, coating both sides, then into the egg, allowing the excess to drip off, and finally into the breadcrumbs. Place on the platter.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When it's hot, add the chicken breasts and cook, 3-4 minutes on each side, until they are golden and cooked through.
- Slice your bread rolls in half, but don't cut them all the way through (keep a "hinge" on them). Open them up so they lay flat and place on a baking sheet.
- Add one chicken breast to the top of each bread roll. Add about 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce over each, then top with the mozzarella or Provolone cheese.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil for 2-4 minutes, just until the cheese melts and bubbles. Keep a close watch on them so they don't burn.
- Serve warm with extra tomato sauce.
Switch up Sunday dinner with special sandwiches!
More Sunday dinner ideas
BELT sandwiches with sun-dried tomato spread
Acorn squash with wild rice
Pasta with Brussels sprouts