If you can't find blood oranges, many grocery stores carry the juice in the refrigerator section during peak season.
Blood orange curd ice cream recipe
Blood orange curd:
- 2 eggs
- 3 yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups blood orange juice
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cubed and room temperature
- 2 drops each of pink and red food coloring (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups curd, chilled
- 1-1/3 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a heavy-bottom saucepan, whisk eggs, yolks and sugar together. Whisk the cornstarch together with a bit of the blood orange juice to create a slurry. Whisk the juice and slurry into the egg mixture. If using, add the food coloring.
- Whisk constantly over medium heat until thick, approximately 15 minutes. Make sure the whisk hits the bottom of the pot to keep the curd from burning on the bottom. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Move the curd to a bowl and allow to chill in the refrigerator. It will continue to thicken. Store extra curd in the refrigerator with plastic wrap pushed directly against the curd.
- Whisk the curd and cream together until well combined. Sift in one tablespoon of confectioners' sugar at a time while whisking. Prepare according to your ice cream maker manufacturer's instructions.
More ice cream recipes
Vegan cake batter ice cream
Creamy blueberry lemon ice cream
Homemade Oreo ice cream cake