Burrito bowls are popular at many Mexican food chains, but now you can make your very own at home. Using fresh ingredients helps you control what goes into these bowls, keeping them healthy, delicious and guilt free.
We love Mexican food but sometimes it can be loaded with heavy sauces, cheese and lots of empty calories. Here we created a fantastic Mexican-inspired burrito bowl that is not only very filling but healthy!
Cilantro lime rice burrito bowls recipe
For the cilantro lime rice
Yields about 3 cups
- 1 cup Basmati rice (you may also use plain white or brown rice)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring 1-1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add in the rice and salt, mixing well. Cover and allow to cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 18-20 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender add cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, garlic and 2 tablespoons water. Blend until smooth. Stir the mixture into cooked rice and fluff with a fork. Best served warm.
For the burrito bowl
- Cilantro lime rice, cooked
- 1 cup black beans, divided
- Sauteed peppers and onions
- 1 cup frozen corn, cooked
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh cilantro and jalapeno peppers for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl add 1/2 cup of the cilantro lime rice, Begin layering the bowls with black beans, sauteed peppers and onions, cherry tomatoes, cooked corn and shredded cheese.
- Top with the green onion, avocado, jalapeno and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
More easy Mexican recipes
Black bean and sweet potato enchiladas
Healthy Mexican food recipes
Family-style Mexican recipes