Brussels sprouts are a great wintertime veggie and so good for you, too. Why not add them to pasta for a quick and flavorful meal? Brussels sprouts have had a bad rap for being mushy and unappealing, but they're anything but in this recipe. A simple saute is all it takes to add a little green goodness to a great-tasting Sunday dinner pasta dish.
Pasta with Brussels sprouts recipe
- 1/2 pound spaghetti or fettuccine pasta, cooked to almost al dente
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and outer leaves removed, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta in salted water, until almost al dente, then drain it, reserving 1/2 a cup of the pasta water. Set the pasta aside.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Mix the two together a bit, and when the butter has melted, add the sliced Brussels spouts and saute for a few minutes until they begin to brown.
- Add the black pepper and red pepper flakes, and mix well.
- Add the pasta to the Brussels sprouts, and lightly toss it in the pan. Add the reserved pasta water and toss again. Cook for another few minutes, until the pasta absorbs the water.
- Serve warm on individual plates, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and garnish with the pine nuts.
Go green with your pasta!
More Sunday Dinner recipes
Pastina with vegetables
Bacon and egg pizza
Butternut squash, mushroom and spinach quesadillas