Ice Cream Treat
‘Tis the season for all things gingerbread. But forget about the cakes and cookies — get your gingerbread fix in milkshake form instead. Homemade gingerbread syrup gives this ice cream treat tons of holiday flavor.
With all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, it’s hard to find time to bake up several batches of gingerbread cookies or build the perfect gingerbread house. But you can satisfy your gingerbread craving in about 10 minutes with this festive holiday milkshake. And the house will smell just as good!
Gingerbread cookie milkshake
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon gingerbread syrup (see recipe below)
- 2-4 gingersnap cookies, crushed (optional)
- Combine ice cream and 1/4 cup of milk in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more milk to achieve desired thickness, and then quickly blend in cooled gingerbread syrup.
- If desired, blend crushed cookies into milkshake for a bit of crunch.
Makes about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 whole cloves
- Heaping 1/2 tablespoon roughly chopped ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until boiling.
- Reduce heat to a low boil. Let mixture boil for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, ensuring that all the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and strain. Let sit at room temperature to cool. Store in refrigerator.
To make this boozy, substitute the milk for 1-2 ounces of brandy. If it's a little too strong or thick for your taste, top it off with a splash of milk.
More gingerbread recipes
Gingerbread cheesecake bites
Snowflake gingerbread tree