Team Cake or Team Pie?
Hearty pie for holiday spirits
When it comes to treats around the holidays, it’s usually a battle between Team Cake and Team Pie. Very few treats can please the whole crowd with a compromise.
Combining the rich, smooth appeal of cake and the crusty, buttery crunch of pie, this chocolate raisin walnut pie is a tart, tasty piece of holiday heaven. Use this filling with a store-bought crust or create a flaky creation of your own with the recipe below. Either way, the chocolate, walnut and raisin filling is sure to be a hit at your next holiday party.
Chocolate raisin walnut pie
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons milk
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup California raisins
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- At least one hour ahead of cook time, combine shortening, vinegar and milk in a small bowl. Mix well, then add hot water and stir.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, salt and cornstarch until fully mixed. Fold in shortening mixture and stir until dough forms. Wrap dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to fit a 10-inch pan. Place and pat inside pan. Crimp edges and remove excess dough.
- In a small bowl, combine raisins, chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Make sure mixture is evenly distributed, then sprinkle over the bottom of the pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, butter and corn syrup until fully mixed. Carefully pour over raisins, walnuts and chocolate chips. Top with more walnuts if desired.
- Place pie in oven and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 more minutes or until the center of the pie is set and crust is golden brown.
- Let pie cool completely before serving. Typical cool time is about 1 full hour.
More recipe ideas
Caramel Raisin Popcorn Balls
Chocolate Raisin Truffles
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies