Overheat your chocolate on the stove, and you'll be left with a thick and lumpy mess that is almost impossible to clean. But before you throw out all that delicious, delicious chocolate you worked so hard to heat, it helps to know that running a little interference in the kitchen could save your dessert.
Most bakers agree — melting chocolate can be tricky. It melts at a relatively low temperature and is extremely sensitive to high temperatures, like microwaves. Dark chocolate should never be heated to more than 120 degrees F, and milk and white chocolate should stay below 110 degrees F. Ideally, we want our chocolate to be smooth, silky and creamy. If you accidentally overheat your chocolate, giving it a muddy appearance, there are some ways to save it.
If you've overheated your chocolate, begin cooling it as quickly as possible. The longer it stays warm, the harder it's going to be to save. To cool the chocolate, remove from heat source and transfer to a cool, dry bowl. This immediately stops the melting process. Add in a few handfuls of chocolate chunks and stir. The coolness of the chunks helps cool the melted chocolate down quicker.
A sieve is like a strainer — only it's more fine and used for sauces as opposed to pastas or noodles. After you've cooled the chocolate down, strain it through a sieve to get rid of any excess chunks. Consider adding a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil and mixing thoroughly, then straining again if the first time didn't fully solve the problem.
An immersion blender is a hand-held blender that looks like a stick. The purpose is to blend the foods in the container that they're in, as opposed to transferring the ingredients to a regular blender. If you've cooled your chocolate and strained it through a sieve with no luck, take out the immersion blender and blend until smooth.
Updated by Bethany Ramos on 4/8/2016
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!