Sweet caramels mix with whiskey to create the most amazing Christmas candy! They are sweet, gooey and perfect for gift giving!
Sometimes in life you just need a soft chewy caramel. Sometimes that caramel is also spiked with whiskey. This is a total win-win. These easy-to-make caramels are perfect for the holidays and super simple to make. Don't be scared if you have never made candy before. All you need is a good candy thermometer and a little courage.
Salted whiskey caramel recipe
Slightly adapted from Betty Crocker
Yields 9 x 9-inch pan (about 25 large caramels)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Jack Daniel's whiskey (or other preferred whiskey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Line a 9 x 9-inch glass dish with parchment paper and set aside until ready to fill.
- In a small saucepan add butter, heavy whipping cream, whiskey, vanilla extract and kosher salt. Cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring every so often so the cream does not burn. Once boiling remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a larger saucepan add white sugar, corn syrup and water, give it a little stir. Add a candy thermometer to the side of the pot (making sure to adjust the thermometer so that it's not touching the bottom) and cook over medium heat. DO NOT STIR while the sugar and water are cooking. Watch the thermometer and pull it off the heat when it reaches 310 degrees and looks pale amber in color.
- Immediately pour in cream mixture (be careful, it will boil a lot and you could get burned), put back on the heat and whisk constantly until the thermometer reads 248 degrees. Pull from the heat and pour into parchment lined pan.
- Let the caramels sit for 10 minutes, sprinkle with sea salt and let cool completely before cutting. After cutting, wrap them in parchment paper to give away as gifts or to store.
More caramel recipes
Banana salted caramel pudding recipe
Potato chip and salted caramel fudge recipe
Salted caramel shortbread bite recipe