Get Ready For
Rice And Veggies!
An internationally inspired dish that is hearty and filled with veggies, this recipe for vegetarian paella gets your week off on the right foot — perfect for Meatless Monday!
Paella is a rice dish with origins in Spain. There are many regional variations of the dish, often served using either meats or seafood. This recipe for vegetarian paella keeps things simple, using a combination of fresh, canned and frozen vegetables with beans for a great protein kick! Feel free to experiment and use some of your favorite vegetables.
Did you know that on Oct. 24, 2012, Los Angeles became the largest city in the U.S. to sign a Meatless Monday resolution? The City Council approved the declaration to help promote the program for the health of its citizens and the planet. Read more about L.A.'s move and about Meatless Monday.
- 1-1/2 cups rice
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, skinned, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (you can substitute chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, if you prefer)
- 8 ounces canned artichoke heats, drained and cut into chunks
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- In a saucepan, bring about one-half cup of water to boil. Add the saffron threads, cover and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and red bell pepper and cook until the onion becomes tender (about six to eight minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add the rice and mix it together with the other ingredients, then immediately add the vegetable stock and tomatoes. Stir and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Carefully strain the saffron threads from the water, and add the water, salt, pepper and thyme to the mixture.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the cannellini beans, artichoke hearts and peas, mix, and cook for a few more minutes until the remaining liquid is absorbed.
- Serve warm.
What a great mix of ingredients for a hearty meal!
More Meatless Monday recipes
Orecchiette pasta with broccoli rabe
Mushroom and walnut risotto
Easy miso soup with tofu