A Fun Way To
Get Rid Of Leftovers
One of the greatest things about the holidays is, of course, the food. What isn't so great is the mounds of leftover dishes. Here we get creative with a super fun recipe that uses not one but three leftover dishes.
This recipe is not only a great way to use leftovers it's fun to look at. Here we use mashed potatoes to create little mashed potato pancake stacks layered with leftover turkey then topped off with a tangy cranberry syrup.
Mashed potato pancake stacks with turkey and cranberry syrup recipe
For the cranberry syrup
Yields about 2 cups
- 1-1/2 cups leftover cranberry sauce (homemade preferably)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- In a small saucepot combine the cranberry sauce and the orange juice. Simmer for five minutes or until the sauce is heated.
- Add the sauce to a blender and blend until the mixture is smooth. If the syrup is too thick add more orange juice until you reach consistancy that you like.
For the mashed potato pancake stacks with turkey
Yields 4-6 servings
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup grated cheese such as cheddar or pepper Jack
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- 2 cups leftover turkey, shredded or chopped and reheated
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl mix the mashed potatoes, cheese, chives and salt and pepper well. Cover and chill for one hour. (This makes the mashed potatoes easier to handle.)
- In a large frying pan over medium heat lightly coat the pan with olive oil or cooking spray. Begin forming small spoonfuls of the mashed potato mixture into patties that resemble pancakes until you have used all of the mashed potatoes. Add several of the patties to the pan careful not to overcrowd. Cook the patties for five minutes on each side or until they are golden brown.
- On a plate alternate layers of mashed potato pancakes and turkey to create the stacked look. Garnish with fresh parsley and drizzle with the cranberry syrup.
More recipes using leftovers
The best Thanksgiving leftovers recipes
Creative uses for Thanksgiving leftovers
Delicious leftover turkey recipes