Adorable Edible Crafts Made With Oreos
Remember when your parents would scold you for playing with your food? Tell you how rude it was? Well, it was quite clear they never saw these adorable turkey and pilgrim hats, made with Oreos! These crafts are almost too cute to eat. Plus, it gives you and your kids a chance to play with your food, no time-outs or "no dessert" rules required!
Not only are these adorable desserts perfect for the end of your meal, they make even better place cards. Simple place your name cards in between the candy corn of the turkey feathers or beneath the hats! With this edible craft costing less than $10 to make, you can surprise your family and still stay within your holiday budget.
Recipe slightly adapted from Our Best Bites
Yields about 4
- 8 Oreo cookies
- 24 pieces of candy corn
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon shortening
- 4 Whoopers
- 4 Reese's cups (miniature)
- Black cake icing gel
- Yellow cake icing gel
- Place chocolate and shortening in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the mixture and microwave again for another 20 to 30 seconds, or until fully melted.
- Open four of the Oreo cookies. Dab a little bit of melted chocolate onto the white end of five candy corns. Carefully push them into the white filling of the Oreo. Spread a little chocolate over the bottom (close to the white) part of the candy corn and press the top of the cookie onto the candy corn. Set aside.
- To make the body, cut off about 1/8 of each Reese's cups. Using the melted chocolate, carefully glue the Reese's cup (cut side down) onto an Oreo. You want the top of the Reese cup facing you. Add a dab of chocolate to the bottom and back of the Whopper. Carefully press the bottom on top of the Reese cup to form a head.
- Add a dab of chocolate to the bottom and front of the feathers. Carefully stick the feathers to the back of the Reese cup, the Whopper and on top of the Oreo cookie (where the turkey sits). You may need to hold them gently so they stick.
- Once they are stuck together, carefully make two dots on the top half of the Whoppers with yellow icing gel. Dab little black dots (using the black icing gel) in the middle to create the eyes.
- To create the beak, cut the white tips of 4 pieces of candy corn. Add a small dab of melted chocolate to the cut side and stick onto the Whopper. Do this carefully. Let the turkeys dry completely.
- To make little feet, draw them on with yellow icing gel. Separate the "toes" with a thin toothpick.
Oreo pilgrim hats
Yields about 6
- 6 miniature Reese's cups
- 6 Oreo cookies halves, filling scraped off
- Melted chocolate
- Yellow cake icing gel
- Candy corn
- Slather melted chocolate onto the top part of a Reese's cup. Carefully press the cup into the middle of an Oreo cookie half (filling side down). Using the yellow icing gel, trace around the bottom rim of the Reese cup.
- Cut the top (orange) part off the candy corn and then cut that into fourths. Cut the fourths in half and place on of those small halves in the center of the yellow rim on one side (that will serve as the buckle).
- Let the hats dry completely and enjoy!
More edible craft recipes
Chocolate turkey spoons
Homemade edible bouquet
Snowflake gingerbread tree