Remember when your parents would scold you for playing with your food? Well, it's quite clear they never saw adorable turkey and Pilgrim hats made with Oreos. These fun crafts are almost too cute to eat — and they give you and your kids a chance to play with your food, no timeouts required.
Cute little Oreo turkeys and Pilgrim hats are perfect for the end of your meal, but they also make unique place card holders for your Thanksgiving tablescape. Simply place your name cards in between the candy corn of the turkey feathers or beneath the hats.
More: Gobble latte coffee spoons are the best way to sweeten your morning cup
This edible craft costs less than $10 to make, so you can delight your family and still stay within your holiday budget.
Oreo turkeys recipe
- 8 Oreo cookies
- 24 pieces candy corn
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon shortening
- 4 Whoppers
- 4 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Miniatures
- Black cake icing gel
- Yellow cake icing gel
- To a bowl, add the chocolate and shortening, and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the mixture, and microwave again for another 20 to 30 seconds or until fully melted.
- Open 4 Oreo cookies. Dab a little bit of melted chocolate onto the white end of 5 candy corns. Carefully push them into the white filling of the Oreo. Spread a little chocolate over the bottom (close to the white) part of the candy corn, and press the top of the cookie onto the candy corn. Set aside.
- To make the body, cut off about 1/8 of each Reese's cup. Using the melted chocolate, carefully glue the Reese's cup (cut side down) onto an Oreo. You want the top of the Reese's cup facing you. Add a dab of chocolate to the bottom and back of a Whopper. Carefully press the bottom on top of the Reese's cup to form a head.
- Add a dab of chocolate to the bottom and front of the feathers. Carefully stick the feathers to the back of the Reese's cup, the Whopper and on top of the Oreo cookie (where the turkey sits). You might need to hold them gently so they stick.
- Once they are stuck together, carefully make 2 dots on the top halves of the Whoppers with yellow icing gel. Dab little black dots (using the black icing gel) in the middle to create the eyes.
- To create the beak, cut the white tips of 4 pieces of candy corn. Add a small dab of melted chocolate to the cut side, and stick it onto the Whopper. Do this carefully. Let the turkeys dry completely.
- To make little feet, draw them on with yellow icing gel. Separate the "toes" with a thin toothpick.
Oreo Pilgrim hats recipe
- 6 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Miniatures
- 6 Oreo cookie halves, filling scraped off
- Melted chocolate
- Yellow cake icing gel
- Candy corn
- Slather melted chocolate onto the top part of a Reese's cup. Carefully press the cup into the middle of an Oreo cookie half (filling side down). Using the yellow icing gel, trace around the bottom rim of the Reese's cup.
- Cut the top (orange) part off the candy corn, and then cut that into fourths. Cut the fourths in half, and place 1 of those small halves in the center of the yellow rim on 1 side (that will serve as the buckle).
- Let the hats dry completely, and enjoy.
More: Turn graham crackers into edible canvases for a fun winter food craft
Originally published November 2015. Updated November 2016.