Fresh fruit for dessert
There's nothing like a light and fresh dessert in a season of calorie-laden, heavy sweets. If you've never heard of a "galette," it's time to try something new!
This galette brings a whole new meaning to "fruit for dessert." You can really taste the textural balance in this dish, between the crispy crust and the soft, sweet fruits. This is the perfect alternative to overpowering, rich desserts during the holiday season.
Strawberry peach galette recipe
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes
For the crust:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes, chilled in the freezer for 1 hour
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
- 3 large yellow peaches, peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 3-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- Coarse sugar
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt until well combined.
- Add the cubed butter and pulse 8 times. The butter should become the size of peas.
- Slowly add the ice water, 2 tablespoons at a time, pulsing after each addition until the dough just begins to clump.
- Roll dough out. Do not overknead. Work the dough only enough to bring it barely together into a disk. Sprinkle with a little flour on all sides, wrap with plastic and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Preheat the oven with the rack in the middle position to 425 degrees F.
- Place the strawberry and peach slices in a bowl and sprinkle with the flour and sugar. Toss gently to coat. Sprinkle vanilla extract over the fruit.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg until smooth and set aside.
- On a lightly-floured, clean, smooth surface, roll out the dough until it's 12 inches in diameter. Gently lift up the rolled out dough and place it on a baking sheet.
- Arrange the strawberry and peach slices in an overlapping pattern in a single layer in the center of the dough, forming about a 7 or 8-inch circle. Dot with butter.
- Fold the outer edges of the dough up and over the filling, by about 2-inches all the way around, in an accordion fashion. Egg wash the exposed dough and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until nicely browned. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla whipped cream.
More strawberry recipes
Balsamic strawberry bruschetta recipe
Strawberry soda recipe
4 Creative savory strawberry recipes