Take a little extra time and make homemade applesauce. You'll never buy store-bought again.
Add this homemade applesauce to your Hanukkah feast.
Homemade cinnamon applesauce recipe
Recipe adapted from Jewish Holiday Cookbook
Yields about 1 quart
- 4 pounds apples
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup apple cider, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Peel, quarter and core the apples.
- Place the apples in a heavy pot with the cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. Add the apple cider and lemon juice . Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. If the pot gets too dry, add some extra apple cider.
- Cook about 20 minutes, or until the apples are soft. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Put the sauce into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Taste the applesauce and adjust sweetness as desired with honey.
More apple recipes
Bacon apple pie recipe
Vegan apple quinoa cake
Tonight's Dinner: Savory baked apples