You'll never guess how quickly you can get this pumpkin soup on the table. With amazing flavor from Gruyere cheese, bacon and crispy fried shallots, it tastes like it took all day to make.
This time of year is all about pumpkin — pumpkin pie, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin spice-everything! If you're tired of all the sweet pumpkin dishes, try a savory one instead. Pumpkin soup is the perfect seasonal start to your meal, especially when served in mini-pumpkins. And by taking a shortcut with canned pumpkin, this soup is ready in no time!
Cheesy pumpkin soup with bacon and crispy shallots
Makes about 24 ounces
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 8 ounces low-sodium chicken stock (or more as needed)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Crispy fried shallots (see recipe below)
- Miniature pumpkins for serving, optional
- In a medium pot, fry bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels, leaving fat in pot. Crumble and reserve.
- Pour off all but about one-half tablespoon of the bacon fat. Add shallots to pot and cook over medium heat until soft. Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds, then add white wine to deglaze bottom of pot, scraping up all the bits with a wooden spoon. Let wine reduce until no liquid remains.
- Add pumpkin, chicken stock and heavy cream. Whisk to combine. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, covered.
- Stir in grated cheese, cayenne pepper and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If soup is too thick, add extra chicken stock to desired consistency.
- Top with bacon crumbles and crispy fried shallots.
- If desired, cut the top off of miniature pumpkins and scrape out insides. Serve soup in pumpkin "bowls."
Crispy fried shallots
- Chopped shallots
- Vegetable oil
- Toss shallots with a little flour to coat.
- Heat about an inch of oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add shallots and fry until lightly brown and crispy.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
More pumpkin recipes
Slow cooker pumpkin pie
Pumpkin frozen yogurt
Boozy pumpkin pie milkshake