Who doesn't love doughnuts? Luckily for you, you no longer have to limit yourself to having just one! These baked doughnuts are delicious, perfectly spiced, lower in fat and full of flavor! Don't worry if you cannot find canned mashed sweet potatoes. You can easily make it yourself! An added bonus, sweet potatoes are full of nutrients. They are a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C and fiber. Feel free to keep them perfectly baked, or sprinkle on a little cinnamon sugar to sweeten things up.
Baked sweet potato doughnut recipe
Adapted from For the Love of Cooking
Yield 6 large doughnuts
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1/4 cup butter (soft)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla paste (or extract)
- Optional toppings: cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar or cinnamon powdered sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 6-count donut pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together white whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, add butter, brown sugar and mashed sweet potatoes. Blend together until fluffy and well mixed. Mix in eggs, whole milk and vanilla paste.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients until completely combined.
- Pipe mixture into doughnut pan and bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let donuts rest in the pan for 5 minutes and let cool on wire rack.
- Optional: Sprinkle warm doughnuts with cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar or cinnamon powdered sugar.
More donut recipes
Bacon doughnut recipe
Orange cranberry doughnut recipe
Chocolate doughnut recipe