Is there anything more amazing than salted caramel? This salty sweet treat is overtop a buttery shortbread crust and perfect for your holiday cookie platter. Don't worry if you are short on time. This delicious dish can be made in less than 45 minutes and sets up in no time. That means, in under an hour you can be in salted caramel shortbread heaven!
Salted caramel shortbread bites
Yield 8 x 8 square dish
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup ground shortbread cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 - 2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer add room temperature butter and white sugar. Mix until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in shortbread cookie crumbs and flour. Mix until dough is formed. This will take about 3-4 minutes.
- Press into parchment lined 8 x 8 glass dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- While crust is cooling start making caramel.
- In a skillet add dark brown sugar, heavy cream, butter and corn syrup.
- Cook over medium until mixture starts to bubble — add in sea salt.
- Using a candy thermometer cook without stirring for 8-10 minutes until temperature has reached 240 degrees F.
- Pour over shortbread crust and sprinkle with a little extra sea salt. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
More caramel recipes
Caramel cheesecake apple dip recipe
Banana salted caramel cream dessert recipe
Chocolate cookie and salted caramel ice cream sandwich recipe