A warm cup of this satisfying hearty corn chowder will have you going back for more. Serve the cheddar chive biscuits alongside the creamy chowder for a delicious rustic meal.
If you love corn chowder this is a great hearty meal for cooler weather. Most corn chowders are bogged down with heavy creams and cheeses but not in this recipe. Here we lightened and spiced it up by adding green chilies to the chowder, giving an extra kick of flavor.
Skinny green chili corn chowder recipe
- 10 ears fresh corn
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup canned green chilies, chopped
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dry
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup plain almond milk, soy milk or skim milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, sour cream and minced red onions, cheddar cheese or bacon for garnish (optional)
- Clean the ears of corn and over a large bowl remove all of the corn kernels from each ear of corn and set aside. In a large pot over medium heat add a small amount of olive oil and saute the onion and garlic just until soft about three to five minutes. Add in the flour and stir constantly for about two minutes. Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth until everything is incorporated and there are no lumps of flour.
- Add the milk, potatoes, corn kernels, green chilies, bay leaves, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a rapid boil then reduce the heat to medium and let simmer covered for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and add half of the chowder to a blender or a food processor blending it until it's creamy and smooth. (You can also do this step right in the pot if you have an immersion or stick blender.) Add the mixture back into the pot and mix well. Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, fresh cilantro and minced red onions.
Cheddar chive biscuits recipe
Yields 8 biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 egg, mixed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, cheddar cheese, chives, baking powder, sea salt and butter. With a mixer beat on low until the mixture is very crumbly. (There will be little bits and pieces of butter which is what you want.) Slowly add in the half-and-half or cream and blend just until the batter is mixed well.
- On a floured surface knead the dough and roll into a rectangle. With a biscuit cutter begin to cut out rounds and lay them on the cookie sheet. Brush the tops with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
More corn recipes
Fresh corn cakes with avocado salsa
Sweet and spicy corn salsa
Mexican grilled corn