Italian stuffed artichokes recipe
- 4 large whole artichokes
- 1 lemon
- 1-1/2 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (you can use flat-leaf or curly)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. With a sharp knife, trim the stems off of the artichokes so that there is a flat bottom and so the artichoke is able to sit up in a casserole dish without tipping over. Cut about one-third of the top of the artichoke off and gently remove any of the tough outer leaves.
- Place the artichokes in a casserole dish and squeeze the juice of the lemon evenly over the cut tops. Carefully begin separating and fanning out the leaves as much as possible with your hands but not breaking the leaves off.
- In a mixing bowl, add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper and the minced garlic, mixing well. Stuff the mixture in between the leaves of each artichoke and place in the casserole dish. Lightly drizzle the olive oil over the tops of the artichokes and add enough boiling water into the casserole dish to create a depth of about one inch. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes or until the artichokes are cooked through. Remove the foil and bake an additional five minutes, allowing the tops to turn into a golden brown color. Remove from the oven and top with extra cheese and fresh parsley for garnish. Serve immediately.
More artichoke recipes
Light spinach and artichoke dip
Cheese and artichoke tarts